A different way to have chicken and vegetables, that's exciting, delicious and healthy. These are fun to make and allow everyone in the family to be part of the cooking process, especially if you have kids. The aroma of the ingredients before they are cooked is amazing, you are going to love it. It's a great way to use your grill for more than just grilling some burgers. You can make the entire meal on your grill, healthy and delicious.
Chicken- breast or thigh- 1 pound roughly chopped
Plain yogurt- 2 tbsp
Parsley- ½ bunch
Cilantro- ½ bunch
Cumin- 2 tsp
Cinnamon- ½ tsp
Allspice- 1 tsp
Garlic powder- 1 tbsp
7 whole grain rice- 1 pound (bulgur or whole grain brown rice would be best)
Mint- 3 tbsp chiffonade or cut into strips
Frozen green peas- 4 ounces
Yellow onion- 1 cut in ½ (save ½ for grilling)
Orange bell pepper- 1 rough chop
Zucchini- 1 diced cut in ½
Roma tomatoes- 3 whole cut in ½
Yellow Squash- 1 cut in ½
1PL8 Herb Salt- to taste
Fresh black pepper- to taste
Olive oil- 1 tbsp
(Breadcrumbs- may need to bind chicken mixture)
Grilled Chicken Kabobs
1. Start your grill and allow time for the grates to heat up before you place any food on it. Chef Tip: a hot, clean grill grate will help prevent food from sticking.
2. In a bowl mix the chicken, cilantro, parsley, peppers, onion, spices, and yogurt, with a tbsp of herb salt and fresh ground pepper to your taste.
3. In your food processor ad ½ of the mixture and puree until smooth and completely mixed.
4. Remove from mixer place in bowl and set aside in fridge to keep cold or start placing mixture on skewers. Chef Tip: if the mixture is to wet and does not mold to the skewer, add a little bit of breadcrumbs to mixture and mix well. Always have wet hands when molding chicken mixture to your skewers.
5. In another bowl mix all the vegetables together and add olive oil and herb salt and fresh ground black pepper and toss to mix well.
6. Chef Tip: scrub grill grates well with grill brush and lightly brush hot grill grates with a paper towel or cloth lightly coated with oil.
7. Chef Tip: place your hand 2” over the grill grate, DO NOT TOUCH GRILL GRATE, should be able to count to 3 before having to remove your hand. If you have to remove your hand before 3 it's too hot if it can stay, there longer it’s too cold. 3 seconds is the magic number for readiness.
8. Place the chicken kabobs on the grill, followed by the vegetables, cut side down first.
9. Let sit for 5 minutes before trying to flip them over. Gently lift side of food, if it lifts easy its ready if stuck let sit longer it is not ready yet.
10. Flip and cook on opposite side using tongs and spatula if needed.
11. Add your rice and green peas to a hot pre-heated cast iron or steel pan and start heating.
12. When cooked remove the kabobs from the grill as well as the vegetables and begin plating.
13. When hot remove rice from grill and begin plating.
Chef Tip: if you wanted to use the same chicken mixture for meatballs, burgers or a patty, GREAT IDEA, it will be delicious.