This is a new twist on an ole American favorite and classic, meatloaf. For a chef a meatloaf is like a canvas for a painter, there is limitless combinations and opportunities to create something healthy delicious and amazing. It's unfortunate that meatloaf is frowned upon or looked at as being beneath Haute cuisine. If we change the name and call it a fancy name, it is then regarded as worthy and cutting edge, but when examined it's the same as a meatloaf. Our meatloaf doesn't have a fancy name, but its flavor is outstanding, it is served with some amazing and spicy harissa potatoes and an incredible green bean and cherry tomato sauté. Cook this meal and you will never look at meatloaf the same again.
Ground Chuck - 1# (can be ground chicken, turkey, fish)
Yellow onion- 1 each diced
Jalapeno Pepper- 3 each chopped
1PL8 Harissa seasoning- 2 tbsp
Garlic powder- 2 tbsp minced (fresh is also welcome)
Dried Parsley- 1-2 tbsp
Croutons or breadcrumbs- ½ cup
Cherry tomatoes- 2 cups cut in 1/2
Green beans- 1 pound
Potatoes- 1# diced
1PL8 Herb Salt- to taste
Fresh black pepper- to taste
Olive oil- 1 tbsp
Mustard- 2 tbsp (optional)
Harissa Roasted Potatoes
1. Place the diced potatoes in a bowl and toss with a small amount of olive oil and as much harissa seasoning as you want. Mix well to ensure all potatoes are seasoned. Spread out in a single layer on a sheet pan and place in a 375-degree oven. Chef Tip: 350-375-degree oven temperature is a safe temperature to cook your potatoes. It will take a little longer to cook. 450 degrees is a hotter oven and will cook quicker, but you must keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
2. Roast in the oven until golden brown and tender, @ 30-45 minutes. Chef Tip: set your timer to ensure proper cooking time.
1. In a bowl place the ground chuck jalapenos, onions, croutons, garlic, fresh black pepper, parsley, and 1PL8 herb salt. Mix well in the bowl to incorporate ingredients.
2. Place ½ of meat/vegetable mix into a food processor. Mix well until the meat and vegetables are well ground. Will take only @ 30 seconds. Remove from machine place in a bowl and repeat with other ½.
3. Make evenly portioned patties or 1 entire log of meatloaf. Chef Tip: make sure your hands are wet to prevent the meat from sticking to them. Chef Option: you can make meatballs, burgers, or kabobs at this point, whatever you decide.
4. Once formed you can glaze with mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, or other sauce. Chef Tip: use sauce that is low sugar, beside health considerations, sugar-based sauces burn extremely easy. Low sugar items like mustard give amazing flavor aroma.
5. Place in a preheated 450-degree oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 155-160 degrees, or until desired temperature.
Garlicky Green beans
1. Pre-heat your sauté pan and add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
2. Add your green beans, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Mix well and let warm.
3. Add the tomatoes and toss well to incorporate. Let sit and heat up, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Enjoy and serve with vegetables, meatloaf, and potatoes.